Storage Packing Tips
If you don’t pack correctly, your valuables might not make it to your new home in one piece! Here is an overview and list of packing tips about how to avoid any packing mistakes
Packing Materials Needed:
- Packing tape
- A sturdy pair of scissors (dual indoor/outdoor scissors work great)
- Permanent markers (wide-tip often works best)
- Labels (list specifically what is inside each box and what room it goes in to avoid misplacing anything)
- Shrink Wrap
- Bubble wrap
- Styrofoam peanuts
- Furniture covers
- Wrapping paper and/or newspaper for wrapping fragile items
- Corrugated wrap is a wrapping fiberboard that is corrugated with flutes on one side. It is pliable and is a good wrapping option for irregularly shaped items.
- Garment bag – make sure to have garment bags for any special clothing items such as a wedding dress, expensive coat or tuxedo.
- Hand dolly to move appliances
Types of Boxes:
Not all boxes are created equal and some items require certain types of packing material to be kept whole and undamaged. Use our list below to make sure you have all the correct boxes:
- Hat boxes – don’t let your wide brimmed hats get smashed!
- Jewelry box or plastic organizer. Make sure you safely store specialty jewelry in its own strong box before placing in a larger box. Plastic zip organizers are also a good choice to keep necklaces separated and untangled.
- Dish Boxes – Square shaped specialty dish boxes can be used for stacking dishes or other fragile items.
- Small China Boxes – Mini cube shaped boxes with handles can be used to keep smaller plates and other small China items safe.
- Lamp boxes – use the tall and narrow lamp boxes to keep table lamps and floor lamps upright and secure
- Television Boxes
- File Boxes
- Mattress Boxes
- Utility Boxes – Utility boxes are helpful and come in handy for storing brooms, vacuums, mops and other tall utility items
- Corrugated boxes – these boxes resist breakage and are more durable – especially for heavier items
- Poster tubes
- Mirror and Picture boxes – these boxes come in many sizes to accommodate however large your own mirrors and pictures are.
- Wardrobe box – This box comes large or small and is great to not only keep clothes unwrinkled and preserved but also can be used for a variety of storage such as décor, wreaths and other home items.