Moving Guide - Moving Tips and Checklist
Moving can be one of the most stressful endeavors in life. Follow this guide full of helpful moving tips to help make your next move go smoothly:
- Research your new area. Find where your closest police station, park, pharmacy, grocery store and other necessary amenities are in relationship to your home.
- Change your address with the post office and make sure you have your mail forwarded.
- Contact your old utility providers and make sure they know your account is closed.
- Find out all your new utility companies and set up trash delivery, water, power, etc. Set up a new account in advance and possibly have your payment auto-drafted to ensure your utilities will all be functioning when you move in.
- Make sure your new home has blinds. If you’re building or in another situation – your home might not come with blinds. Make sure you have a situation set up to order and have your window blinds available when you move in so that you will have immediate privacy.
- Make your physical moving plan. If you plan to have a moving day where neighbors and friends help – send out an invitation with a clearly outlined set day and time. Make sure to provide food and let your helpers know it will be there for them. Have boxes already organized by room and have your packing and loading situation planned before friends arrive to help. This way the process will go seamlessly and more quickly.
- Have boxes, labels and all packing materials bought ahead and on hand for the packing day and day of move.
- If you’re using self-storage make sure your unit is rented in advance and will be available the day you need it. Find out storage facility access hours and gate codes to make sure you can get in and out when you need.
- Get estimates from multiple moving companies and other vendors. Make sure you shop around and check reviews to find out who is the best fit for you.
- Plan for pet travel and or boarding so that they will be safe and taken care of during the move.
- Check into your children’s new schools and find out registration and school calendars to make sure your children will be able to get in after the move
- Give yourself enough time to pack and organize. Starting early and doing a little over time will allow you the ability to organize as you pack which will speed up the storing and unpacking process because of your thoughtful preparation.